Almond oil (also known as sweet almond oil) is a great way to keep long and dry hair, beautiful and healthy. It has a long history as the first use of almond oil being put on hair was from ancient Egypt. Almond oil was combined with Castor oil to improve upon the castor's texture and smell. The oil mixture was then applied to the scalp by massage and left on for a specific amount of time. This mixture was said to grow hair faster and cure baldness. They noticed that almond oil provided hair with a bright sheen and silky texture as well.
If you remember the BP oil spill, cleanup agencies were actually asking for human hair to clean up the oil. This is because hair has lots of surface area and can hold large amounts of oil. After a long winter’s exposure to dry indoor heat, our hair needs some extra conditioning and rubbing oil onto the hair and scalp will help it regain a healthier look
Nowadays, there are all sorts of shampoos that make claims about good looking and healthy hair. However, most of these shampoos contain manufactured chemicals that are not natural nor are they healthy in the long term. It's much better to use a natural oil such as almond oil to do the same job. The only caveat is that if you are allergic to nuts, almond oil should be avoided.
But what does almond oil actually do for your hair?
There are a few ways in which applying almond oil to your hair and scalp can help. First off, oil in general is a conditioner and hair moisturiser. It can control hair breakage and split ends. Regular oiling makes hair lustrous and adds shine to it.
Secondly, hair is made of protein. Since there is a large amount of protein in almonds and other nuts, it is believed that the hair follicles will absorb this protein and become stronger over time.
Thirdly, although there are no studies proving that almond oil promotes hair regrowth, there are many studies showing the beneficial effects of almond oil for your skin. And so, massaging the oil onto your scalp as well as your hair will keep those hair follicles healthier in many ways which by many is believed to at the minimum hold back hair loss.Tips for using almond oil on your hair:
- Heat oil to a lukewarm temperature before applying it on your hair.
- Oil your hair in sections. This will help oil to reach the scalp properly. Do not just pour oil on your hair.
- Avoid using too much oil. Start applying some to each part of the head and then massage.
- Put only your finger tips in the oil. Gently massage with finger on scalp by putting your hands through the hair.
- Massage for about 10 to 15 minutes after oiling your hair.
- Try not to wash out the oil right away. Find a time of day that enables you keep the oil as long as possible, such as before bedtime.
- For best results, oil your hair at least once or twice a week.